East Wittering is a parish in Manhood hundred, rape of Chichester, Westhampnett union, 7 ½ miles south-west from Chichester, adjoining the parishes of Earnley, Birdham and West Wittering. It contains an area of 1,260 acres of arable and pasture land; from the mouth of Chichester harbour to the extremity of Selsey bill, a distance of about 8 miles, the sea has encroached so as to absorbed a large portion of the prebendal manor of Bracklesham. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry of Chichester, and deanery of Boxgrove, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chichester, value £190 per annum; in the incumbency of the Rev. W. Miller, M.A.; population, in 1841, was 261, assessed to the Income Tax at £2,002.
West Wittering, in the same jurisdiction as East, is a parish bounded on the north by Itchenor and Birdham, on the east by East Wittering, on the west by Chichester harbour, and on the south by the British Channel. Its area is 2,500 acres; the soil is of rich quality. The village, which is small, is in the south-western part of the parish, 8 miles south-west from Chichester. The district is low, varied by no hill and dale, but still affording marine views of uncommon extent, variety and magnificence. Having the isles of Pilsey, Hayling and Thorney, with a background of the Hampshire hills, thus forming varied and interesting pictures. The principal landowners are the Messrs. Gorham, Ide, Harris and Aylmore. The prebendle estate held by the trustees of Oliver Whitby, Esq., for three lives, comprising about 275 statute acres, is in the parish. The living is a vicarage, value £165 per annum, in the archdeaconry of Chichester, and deanery of Boxgrove. The prebendary is patron; the incumbent is the Rev. Charles Gaunt. Population, in 1841, was 575; assessed to the Income Tax at £3,924.
Letters received through Chichester.
Miller Rev. James Webber, M.A., Rectory
Bacon Edward, “Royal Oak”
Bridger William, farmer
Cobby James, farmer
Combes John, farmer
Lang Lucius, blacksmith
Redman William, wheelwright
Gorham James, esq.
Hewitt Rev. Thomas Swinton, M.A.
Ide John, esq.
Aylmore Samuel, boot maker
Aylmore William, yeoman
Bigwood Mrs Mary Ann, shopkeeper
Combes Charles, farmer
Cooper James, grocer & baker
Farne John, farmer
Francis Mrs Mary, farmer
Goodwin George, “Dog & Duck”
Harris Thomas, yeoman
Hoare Joseph & Henry, farmers
Hopkins Mrs Mary, beer retailer
Ide George, blacksmith & butcher
Ide George, jun. blacksmith
Jordan John, baker
Russell George & Thomas, farmers
Stapleton Miss Lucy, girls’ day school
Symonds Richard, baker & grocer
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner