Post Office Directory 1851, Upper Beeding, West Sussex

Upper Beeding is a parish, 1 ½ miles from Steyning, and 4 north from Shoreham, on the river Adur, which is navigable for small vessels, in Burbeach hundred, rape of Bramber, Steyning union, containing 3,864 acres, and a population, in 1851, of 586, and 110 inhabited houses; Income Tax assessment, £5,348. The benefice is a priory, value £677, in the patronage of Magdalen College, Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas G. Calhoun, M.A. the Principal landowners of the soil are H. Birdger, Esq. & Col. Wyndham. The ruins of Bramber Castle stand a short distance from this village, and the high road between Steyning & Shoreham passes through it.

Letters received through Hurstpierpoint.

Browne Rev. R. Lewis, Priory

Blann Edward, grocer & brewer
Budd Thomas, beer retailer
Budd William, baker
Carpenter John, blacksmith
Edwards James, boot maker
Goddard Richard, boarding & day school
Gorringe William Alex., farmer, Beeding Court
Jupp Thomas & James, farmers
Kidd Thomas, grocer
Marshall Henry, “King’s Head”
Maxfield Mortimer, blacksmith
Mills William, farmer & butcher
Pierce Henry, farm bailiff
Randall William, farmer
Stoner Philip, post office
Stoner Thomas, market gardener
Weaver William, blacksmith & wheelwright, & “Fox & hounds”
Winton James, boot maker
Wood George, market gardener
Wood Peter, farmer
Woolger Bridger, wheelwright
Young john, carrier


Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home