Rumboldswhyke is a small parish adjoining Chichester, in Box hundred, rape of Chichester, Westhampnett union. Its area is 710 acres, and population, in 1841, was 324. A branch of the Arundel & Portsmouth Canal skirts the western boundary of the parish. The living is a vicarage in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Chichester, value £234 per annum, in the incumbency of the Rev. W. Watkins. Hornet is a hamlet of this parish. The Income Tax assessment £2,930.
Letters received through Chichester
Bucker Rev. Charles, Whyke House
Denyer William, dairyman
Field Mrs. Mary, farmer
Smith James, “Crown”
Heath James, relieving officer & registrar of births & deaths for Whyke district
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner