Madehurst is a parish 3 miles north-west of Arundel, in the hundred of Avisford, rape of Arundel, Westhampnett union. Its area is 1,900 acres, and contained a population, in 1841, of 150. The church, dedicated to St Mary Magdalen, is a small structure; the living is a discharged vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester, endowed with £200 royal bounty, value £60 per annum, in the incumbency of the Rev. William Laidlay, and patronage of the bishop of Chichester. Dale Park House and estate, the property and seat of the Marquis of Abercorn, is in this parish. The mansion, which stands in an extensive and well-wooded park, is a spacious building, commanding sea views, and other fine scenery which abound in this part of the country.
Letters received through Arundel.
Abercorn Marquis of, Dale Park House
Burrell Mrs. Madehurst Lodge
Fleming Matthias, boys & girls day school
Partlett William, farmer
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner