Post Office Directory 1851, Lindfield, West Sussex

Lindfield is a large village and parish, constituting the hundred of Burarches, or Burleigh Arches, in the rape of Pevensey, hundred of Street, Lewes rape, and Cuckfield union, 3 ½ miles east of crucified, and 1 ½ north-east from Haywards Heath station, delightfully situated on the summit of a hill, and on the banks of the river Ouse, which is navigable for barges of this place; it consists of one wide street, in which there are several good and well-built residences. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a noble structure, evidencing great antiquity, with a neat spire; it stands on commanding high ground, at the north entrance of the village, presenting an interesting object to the stranger on approaching the place. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the See of Canterbury. There is an establishment called the “Lindfield Benevolent Society,” the object of which is to assist such of the industrious and deserving poor as strive to avoid being chargeable to the parish. Fairs are held on the 1st of April and 12th of May, for sheep and cattle, and the 5th of August for lambs. The parish contained, in 1831, 1,485, and in 1841, 1,756 inhabitants. The area is 5,350 acres, assessed at £7,199. Here is a School of Industry, founded by the late William Allen.

Allen John, esq.
Baugh Edward, esq.
Bent Francis Gibbs, esq.
Bull John Henry, esq.
Compton Thomas, esq.
Duke Edward, esq.
Graham Charles E. esq.
Humphries Edward, esq.
Johnson Rev. Edward H.
Jollands Charles, esq.
Lowdell Stephen, esq.
Peyton Mrs.
Williams Henry, esq.

Allen James, “Sloop Inn”
Allen John, solicitor
Allen William, academy
Allen William, farmer
Anscombe Amon, carpenter
Ansell William, miller
Bashford Edwin, plumber & glazier
Batchelor Edward, blacksmith
Beard William, farmer
Beckett Burrows, brick maker
Billinghurst William, farmer
Bish Charles, glover
Blaker Mrs. Emma, straw bonnet maker
Bugden Friend, farmer
Bull John Henry, surgeon
Burtenshaw Benjamin, farmer
Callow John Thomas, “Red Lion”
Chillcott William, registrar
Constable Edward, barge master
Comber Turner, butcher
Comber William, farmer
Coomber John, farmer
Coppard John, farmer
Davey Allin, boot & shoe maker
Denman William, auctioneer
Durrant Edward, brewer
Durrant George, linen draper
Durrant Thomas, pianoforte maker
Eade William, printer
Farrell James, boot & shoe maker
Ford Henry, farmer
Gard Peter, farmer
Gasston Thomas, tailor
Gosling Sturt, grocer & draper
Gower john, boot & shoe maker
Gregory James B. veterinary surgeon
Harding James, farmer
Huilton Henry, “Tiger”
Hobgen William, farmer
Holford Henry, farmer
Hollingham Thomas, shopkeeper
Holt George P. chemist & druggist
Hurst John, corn miller
Isted Picknell, farmer
Jeffery John, coal merchant
Jenner Thomas, farmer
Joynes William, saddler
Kember Mrs. Ann, farmer
Kember John, farmer
King James, carpenter
Mason George, shopkeeper
Meades Charles, tailor
Packham Henry, turner
Paterson Ronald, watchmaker
Pescot & Elliott, grocers & drapers
Pierce George, butrcher
Pimm James, miller
Savage Edmund, farmer
Saxby George, “Bent Arms”
Saxby John, carpenter
Simmons Miss Sarah, farmer
Simmons Thomas, “Anchor”
Simmons Thomas, boot & shoe maker
Smith Edward, baker
Thompson Isaac, horse dealer
Turner William, farmer
Walls William, farmer
Wells Henry, boot & shoe maker
Westbrook Charles, saddler
Whall John, hairdresser
Wickins George, “Broad Arms”
Willard James, millwright

Post Office - Henry Uridge, postmaster. Letters from London, Brighton, Lewes, & other parts, arrive every morning at 7.30am; dispatched every afternoon, at 6pm, by foot post, to Cuckfield.

Carriers to Brighton - George Mason’s wagon, every tues. & sat. returning the same day

Carriers to Lewes - William Pannett on Friday


Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home