Post Office Directory 1851, Hartfield, East Sussex

Hartfield is a village and parish, giving name to a hundred, in East Grinstead union, and Pevensey rape, 7 ¼ miles from East Grinstead, 1 west from Withyham, and 8 ½ south-west from Tunbridge Wells, with 10,267 acres, and a population, in 1841, of 1,603; assessed at £8,168. The benefice is a rectory, value £636 per annum, in the patronage of the Earl De la Warr, and incumbency of the Rev. John Jewett. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat stone structure, with square tower and 6 bells, and a high shingled spire. The Wesleyan dissenters have a place of worship here, and there is also a National school for boys and girls. The Earl De la Warr is lord of the manor. The charities are £60.

Bradford Sir Thomas, Hartwell House
Hale Bernard, esq. (magistrate), Holly Hill
Hargrave Rev. Benjamin Langwith (curate)
Henniker the Hon. Mrs.
Jowett Rev. John, (rector) Rectory
Langton Rev. Charles, Hartfield Grove
Moor Capt. Frederick, Hollywich
Slade Miss
Wedgewood Miss
Wetherell Capt. Richard, (magistrate) Forest House
Whitehouse Rev. Thomas (curate)

Atherford Henry & John, millers
Bellingham William, Lower Paddock Farm
Barfoot Richard, Bassett’s Farm
Card William, Stairs Farm
Chapman John, Little Cansiron Farm
Clarke Jonathan, shopkeeper
Coyfe William, butcher
Day John, Perry Hill Farm
Edwards Robert, Lines Farm
Edwards William, blacksmith
Elliott Abel, carrier
Elliott Mrs. Fanny, Faulkners Farm
Everst James, veterinary surgeon
Fillery James, miller
Frederick Samuel George, Hartwell Farm
Fry Robert, Harts Farm
Garrett William, wheelwright
Goodwin Thomas, wheelwright
Hill George, plumber
Hoare Mrs. Harriet, “Dorset Arms”
Hooker Thomas, Collinghurst Farm
Jenkins Charles, “Hatch”
Johnson john, Sussex House Farm
Kennard Thomas, saddler & harness maker
Kenward William, “White Horse,” & farmer
Killick Thomas, grocer & draper
Langridge James, blacksmith, Coleman’s Hatch
Langridge Stephen, Upper Paddock Farm
Lewry Charles & Son, Lower Brooks Hill Farm
Marchant Charles, Heath Place Farm
Maryan William, shoe maker
Medhurst William, carpenter & post office
Moon Thomas, shoe maker
Morphew George, Pesthouse Farm
Newton John, wheelwright
Norman Benjamin, carpenter
Payne John, Bolebrook Farm
Payne William, Chartness Farm
Peckham Miss Mary, shopkeeper
Philcox Thomas, carpenter
Ratcliff Richard, Hodore Farm
Shoesmith John, bricklayer
Sinclair John, Old Lodge Farm
Smith Frederick, Thornhill Farm
Snashell Mrs Mary A. Chandler’s Farm
Wallis William, surgeon
Young Henry, Cotchford Farm
Young Henry, Fincham Farm

Post Office – William Medhurst, postmaster. Letters arrive 5.50am & dispatched 7pm to Tunbridge Wells by mail cart

Places of Worship:-
Chapel of Ease, at Holty
Wesleyan Chapel

National school, George Bocking, master; Mrs. Hannah Bocking, mistress

Carriers to:-
London – William Bashford, Quaybrook Common, every tues. & thurs. evening to the Nag’s Head Inn, Borough, returning from thence every wed. & fri. afternoon; Abel Elliott, every tues. night to Catherine Wheel Inn, Borough, and returns every thurs. night.
Tunbridge Wells – George Gilham’s cart, every tues. thurs. & sat. returning same day


Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home