Post Office Directory 1851, Frant, East Sussex

Frant is a village 2 ½ miles from Tunbridge Wells, situated partly in both of the counties of Kent & Sussex, on the brow of a hill, in the hundred of Rotherfield, rape of Pevensey, and Ticehurst union. The church is a Gothic edifice, with square tower and 6 bells, built on an eminence which commands one of the most extensive views of any place in England; this place, like Southborough, from its contiguity to the Wells and beauty of situation, is much resorted to. The area is 8,745 acres, and the population 2,280, of which 483 is in the town of Tunbridge Wells. The Income Tax assessment, in 1842, was £10,797. The benefice is a vicarage, value £800 per annum, with a glebe house, in the patronage of the rector of Rotherfield, ad incumbency of the Rev. Sir Henry Thompson, Bart. At Eridge, in this parish, there are traces of an old English camp, called Saxonbury Hill. Here also is Eridge Castle, built in the form of a quadrangle, and anciently the residence of the Nevilles; Queen Elizabeth was entertained here for 6 days. Bayham Abbey is in the parish of Frant, established here in 1200. At the dissolution, its income was £152 9s. 4 1/2d. There are few remains of the Abbey buildings, except the walls, and the ruins of the chapter house, cloisters, and gatehouse. Here are National schools. The Marquis of Camden and the Earl of Abergavenny are lords of the manor. The charities are £23 per annum.

Abergavenny Earl, Eridge Castle
Adams Miss
Ashburnham the Hon. Percy, Shernfolb Park
Briggs Miss Sarah
Budgen Thomas, esq.
Camden Marquis of, Bayham Abbey
Cooke George, esq. Bellsyew Green
Grace Mrs. Sheffield, Knole
Hebden Mrs. Harriet, Ely Grange
Kirby Miss, Gothic Cottage
Price John, esq. (magistrate) Belvidere
Roper William, esq. Bayham
Shuter John Allen, esq. Little Henly
Smith Misses, Corner House
Stoven Miss
Thompson Rev. Sir Henry, Bart. (vicar) Vicarage

Austen John, shopkeeper, Eridge Green
Austen Thomas, Palmer’s Farm
Barnett John, Ivy Lodge Farm
Batchelor Thomas, farmer, Bellsyew Green
Beale Mrs. Ruth, “Turk’s Head,” Bellsyew Green
Bourne James, Whybournesgate Farm
Camfield Henry, blacksmith, Bayham
Card John, stonemason
Carr Josiah, shopkeeper
Cheeseman Charles, farmer, Sunningly
Crismass Joseph, Shoesmith’s Farm
Dibley Henry, tailor
Dickenson Daniel, farmer, Bellsyew Green
Ellis Thomas, draper
Field Henry, jun. blacksmith
Field William, sen. farmer
Fairbrother Henry, carpenter
Fulljames Richard, shopkeeper
Gilbert Edward Willet, accountant
Goodman Thomas, butcher, Bridge Green
Hawes Oscar, farmer
Hickmott Stephen, farmer, Bayham
Hooker Mrs. Lydia, “Nevill Crest & Gun,” Eridge Green
Jones James, shopkeeper & farmer, Bellsyew Green
Latter Leonard, miller & farmer
Luxford Richard, farmer, Pocock’s Gate
Mancktellow David, carpenter
Parriss William, Lightlands Farm
Pearce John, “Spread Eagle”
Pearce William, baker
Packham John, wheelwright
Playfoot Frederick, shopkeeper & farmer
Roper John William, Courtlodge Farm
Skinner Richard, shoe maker
Smith Christopher & Henry, millers
Startin George, plumber &c.
Swift Alfred, miller
Swift George, Bareland’s Farm
Tooth Thomas, Newhouse Farm
Turner William, land surveyor
Thwaites Charles, “Abergavenny Arms”
Wickens Obed, butcher & farmer

Post Office – Richard Carr, receiver. Letters arrive from Tunbridge Wells 7am; dispatched at 7.15pm Eridge Green – Letters received through Tunbridge Wells. Bayham – Letters received through Lamberhurst

National School – Henry Baker, master; Miss Elizabeth Solomon, mistress

Carriers to Tunbridge Wells – Henry Scarce’s van, every tues. & fri. returning same day; Joseph Smith’s van, from Wadhurst, every tues. thurs. & sat. returning same day; William Harris’s van, from Ticehurst, every wed. & sat. returning same day.


Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home