Post Office Directory 1851, Findon, West Sussex

Findon is a pleasant village 6 miles west from Steyning, on the road to Worthing, from which it is 5 miles north, in a valley of the Downs, in Brightford hundred, rape of Bramber, Thakeham union, containing 4,336 acres, and a population of 559, in 1851. Income Tax assessment, £3,309. The church is of a date prior to the conquest, subsequently dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The living is a vicarage discharged in the King’s books, in the patronage of Magdalen College, Oxford, who grant a lease of their rectorial house and property to the vicar, of the annual value of £750. The principal houses are Munthan Park, the seat and property of the Marchioness of Bath; Findon Place, the property and residence of W. W. Richardson, Esq.; and Cissbury Hill, the site of an ancient encampment, both Celtic & Saxon, as well as Roman, is in this parish. There is a fair on the 12th July.

Letters received through Shoreham.

Baker John
Bath Marchioness of, Muntham Park
Booth Rev. George, B.D., Rectory
Bright James
Byham Mrs.
Garnett Rev. William Bishton, B.A.
Golds William
Hodgson Mrs.
Holmes Philip
Holmes Thomas
Liptrott Miss
Liptrott Rev. James
Markwick Mrs.
Richardson William Westbrook, esq. Findon Place
Smith Mrs.
Wyatt Hugh, esq. Cissbury

Beard Joseph Roots, miller
Bright John, grocer
Brown Mrs. Martha, blacksmith
Churchell Edmund, boot maker
Comber Mrs. Martha, grocer & draper
Goatcher James, market gardener
Hard George, farmer
Hare John & Robert, farmers
Holmes James, baker & boot maker
Howell Thomas, butcher
Miles James, bricklayer
Mitchell Thomas, grocer
Moodie Edward, “Gun Inn”
Moore William, National School & parish clerk
Peters John, brewer & beer retailer
Piper Robert, tea dealer
Ratley George, boot maker
Steers Edward, shopkeeper
Tate George, wheelwright
Taylor Mrs. Mary, post office receiving house


Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home