Earnley, a small parish, 6 ½ miles south-west from Chichester, Manhood hundred, rape of Chichester, Westhampnett union. It contains 1,157 acres of arable pasture and marsh land, the soil is fertile. In 1841, it contained 139 inhabitants, Assessed to the Income Tax at £1,980. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry of Chichester and deanery of Boxgrove; it was united in 1526, to the rectory of Almodington, which is now a tithing of this parish; the Bishop of Chichester and the Duke of Norfolk are patrons; value £364 per annum; the Rev. Henry Browne is the incumbent.
Letters received through Chichester.
Bull Rev. Alfred Nicholas, M.A. Rectory
Duke Henry, farmer
Lawrence James, farm bailiff
Stevens Richard, miller & shopkeeper
Tribe William, farmer
Wakeford Robert, farmer
07 Sep 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner