Post Office Directory 1851, Climping, West Sussex

Climping is a parish in Avisford hundred, rape of Arundel, bounded on the West by Middleton and Yapton, on the north by Ford, and on the south it is washed by the waters of the English Channel. It includes all that remains of the parish of Cudlawe, or Cudlow, of which little more than 100 acres have escaped the devestation of the sea. The soil is generally a rich loam; it contains about 2,060 acres of chiefly arable land. The chief land proprietors are the governors of Christ’s Hospital. The village is situated in the eastern part of the parish, about half a mile from the banks of the Arun, and 6 miles from Bognor, north-east. The benefice is a vicarage, value £221 per annum, in the archdeaconry of Chichester and deanery of Arundel. The patronage is in the Bishop of Chichester; the incumbent is the Rev. Owen Marden; the Rev. G. J. Perrmen is curate. The population, in 1841, was 279. The Income Tax assessment, in 1842, was £3,146.

Letters received through Arundel.

Perram G. J., M.A. (curate)

Barnard William, miller
Boniface Thomas, farmer
Bransbury Henry, dairyman
Chandler William, blacksmith & carpenter
Coote George, farmer
Coote Richard, farmer
Gover William, “Black Horse”
Leggett William, carpenter


Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home