Post Office Directory 1851, Ashurst, West Sussex

Ashurst, a retired village, 3 ½ miles north-east from Steyning & 11 south-west from Horsham, in West Grinstead hundred, rape of Bramber, Steyning union. The church is a small very ancient structure, consisting of 2 aisles and a chancel. The benefice is a rectory, value £420 per annum, in the patronage of Magdalen College, Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev. T. N. Blagden, B.D.; curate, the Rev. J. W. Conway Hughes, M.A., Rectory House. The area is 2,250 acres, and the population, in 1851, was 441, assessed at £1,123. The principal landowners are the Rev. John Goring, Lord Rodney, W. J. Campion, and W. Whitter esq.

Letters received through Steyning

Stanford Misses
Allen Peter, farmer
Allen William, farmer
Banfield John, farmer
Blake Richard, parish clerk
Botting Edward, farmer, Pepper’s Farm
Botting Henry Harwood, farmer
Bristow John, farmer
Chantler James, “Fountain”
Goatcher George, farmer
Grant Thomas Jun., farmer, Straker’s Farm
Jeffery James, farmer
Jeffery John, grocer
Jeffrey William, carpenter
Lincer John, blacksmith
Longley Andrew, farmer
Lucking Edward, wheelwright
Mitchell Thomas, farmer
Skinner John, boot maker
Stanford William, farmer, Eaton’s Farm


Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home