Madehurst is a parish 4 ½ miles north-west from Arundel station on the London, Brighton & South Coast railway, in the south-western division of the county, Avisford hundred, Arundel petty sessional, rape and county court district, Westhampnett union, and in the rural deanery of Arundel, archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St Mary Magdalen is of stone in the Early English style, with a western porch of Norman date, and a turret containing 2 bells; there are several stained windows; the church was restored and enlarged in 1864 and affords 80 sittings. The register of marriages dates from the year 1639; baptisms & burials, 1650. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £76, with 20 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Lt-Col. Alan Francis Fletcher D.S.O. and held since 1916 by the Rev. John Webber Ebbs M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. Dale Park House, standing in an extensive and well-wooded park, is the seat of Lt-Col. Alan Francis Fletcher D.S.O. lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is chalk; subsoil, chalk & flint. The chief crops are wheat, barley & oats. The area is 1,891 acres; rateable value, £1,471; the population in 1911 was 187
Sexton, Stephen Northeast
Wall Letter Box in the village. Letters through Arundel. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Slindon
Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1860, for 49 children; Mrs Elizabeth Mary Pierce, mistress
Ebbs Rev. John Webber M.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Fletcher Lt-Col. Alan Francis D.S.O. Dale Park
Majorbanks Miss, Madehurst Lodge
Batho Alfred, stud groom
Page Richard N. head gardener to Lt-Col. Alan Francis Fletcher D.S.O.
Spenseley William, head keeper to Lt-Col. Alan Francis Fletcher
Stead Arthur, farm bailiff to Lt-Col. Alan Francis Fletcher D.S.O.
10 Jan 2008
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner