Kelly's Directory 1911, Warminghurst, West Sussex

Warminghurst is a parish and village, 6 miles north-west from Steyning station, on the Horsham and Shoreham branch of the London, Brighton & South Coast railway, & 10 ½ north of Worthing and 47 from London, in the south-western division of the county, East Easwrith hundred, Steyning petty sessional division, Worthing county court district, Bramber rape, Thakeham union, rural deanery of Storrington (3rd division) and archdeaconry & diocese of Chichester. The church of the Holy Sepulche is of stone, in the Early English style, and has a tower with spire containing 1 bell; there is a brass to the Shelley family, and monuments to the families of Benet, Blount, Butler, Doben, Oldham, Fenwick and others; the church was repaired in 1881, and will seat 140 persons. The register of baptisms & burials dates from the year 1714; marriages from 1717. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £18, in the gift of the Duke of Norfolk K.G. and held since 1909 by the Rev. Lancelot Osmund Frewer M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, and also rector of Ashington were he also resies. William Penn resided in this parish from 1676 to 1702. The Duke of Norfolk K.G. is lord of the manor, and principal landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, part rocky and part clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley & oats. The area is 1,105 acres; rateable value £440; the population in 1901 was 81.

Parish Clerk, Charles Stoner

Letters through Pulborough arrive at 8.30am The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Ashington, 1 mile distant

Letter box cleared at 8.40am & 6.50pm; Sundays, 10.30am

The children of this parish attend the school at Ashington

Collins Mrs. O’Connell, Warminghurst House
Golds Thomas, farmer, Bowford Farm
Muggridge Henry, farmer, New House Farm
Standing Arthur, market gardener
Wood Walter, market gardener

21 Nov 2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home