North Marden is a parish 5 miles south from Elsted station on the Midhurst branch of the South Western railway, 5 ½ miles west from Singleton station on the Midhurst to Chichester branch of the L.B.&S.C. railway, and 8 south-east from Petersfield, and 6 south-west from Midhurst, in the south-western division of the county, Westbourne hundred & union, Chichester rape, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Boxgrove and in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St Mary the Virgin, is an ancient Norman structure of flint and stone and has a turret containing 1 bell; the church was restored and reseated in 1887-8, and has 70 sittings. There is no register prior to the year 1813. The living is a rectory, net income £74, with 9 acres of glebe, in the gift of Capt. G. S. Phipps Hornby, and held since 1910 by the Rev. George Sadler Hall M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, who is also rector of East Marden where he resides. Capt. Geoffrey Stanley Phipps Hornby of Gillingham, Dorset, who is lord of the manor and Earl Russell are the sole landowners. The soil is chalky marl; subsoil, chalk with flint. The chief crops are wheat barley & oats. The area is 697 acres of arable, pasture and down land; rateable value, £169; the population in 1901 was 9.
Parish Clerk, James Loten
Letters arrive via Chichester arrive at 10.30am; The nearest telegraph & money order office is at Harting.
Letter Box at East Marden, cleared at 5.15pm
The children of this parish attend the school at East Marden
Symes Samuel B., farmers
19 Sep 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner