West Itchenor is a parish bounded on the north by Chichester Harbour, 7 miles south-west from Chichester, in the south-western division of the county, Manhood hundred, rape, petty sessional division and county court district of Chichester, union of Westhampnett, and in the rural deanery of Selsey, and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St Nicholas is of stone, chiefly in the Early English style, and has a tower containing 3 bells; the church has been restored and affords 92 sittings. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £94, with residence and 1 ¾ acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1902 by the Rev. Francis Arthur Haines M.A. of Hatfield Hall, Durham University. Here is a small Custom House. There are no manorial rights. The Duke of Richmond K.G., G.C.V.O., C.B. and trustees of the late John Osborne are the principal landowners. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley & oats. The area is 545 acres of land, 81 of tidal water and 191 of foreshore; rateable value £629; the population in 1901 was 121.
Wall Letter Box cleared at 6pm; Sundays 9.30am. Letters through Chichester arrive at 8.45am. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Birdham
The children of this parish attend the school at Birdham
Custom House, John Johnson, principal coast officer
Carrier to Chichester, George Robinson, mon wed fri & sat
Haines Rev. Francis Arthur M.A. (rector), Rectory
Hobson A. J.
Mason Arthur George, Itchenor Park
Mason Mrs., Sunnyside
Wilkinson Francis E.
Wyndham H. Saxe
Beale Elijah, master mariner
Cornish Edwin James, Ship Inn
Darley Henry Clayton, coal merchant
Haines George, ferryman & boat owner
Johnson John, customs house officer
Mason Arthur, farmer
Scott Walter H., farmer
21 Aug 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner