Earnley is a parish , on the sea coast (the Houngate rocks extend off this portion of the coast) 6 ½ miles south-west from Chichester, in the Western division of the county, Manhood hundred, Chichester rape, and county court district, Westhampnett union, rural deanery of Boxgrove third division and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester; The church (name unknown) is a small stone structure, in the Early English, & Decorated styles, and consists of chancel and nave and a western tower containing one bell; there are 107 sittings. The register dates from the year 15609. The living is a rectory, united in 1526 to the rectory of Almodington, which is now a tithing of the parish; net yearly value £320, with residence and 8 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and the present Rector, held since 1874, by the Rev. Thomas Clement B.A. of Clare College, Cambridge. The trustees of the late Rev. Mr Willett are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are the Earl of Winterton and Lord Castletown, of Doneraile Court, co. Cork. The soil is good loam; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,143 acres of arable, pasture and marsh land; rateable value, £1,384; the population in 1891, was 140.
Letters received through Chichester at 9.30am. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Birdham
Wall Letter Box cleared at 5,25pm; sun. 9.40am.
The children of this parish attend the school at Birdham.
Parish Clerk, Job Barrett
Clement Rev. Thomas, B.A. Rectory
Arnold George Edward, blacksmith
Sparks Frederick Charles, farmer, Manor House
Spiers William, farmer, Mill Farm
Stevens Richard, (exors of), miller, (wind & steam) & shopkeeper
Tribe John, farmer, The Grange
10 Jan 2008
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner