Wiston, a parish 50 miles from London, in the hundred of Steyning, rape of Bramber, Thakeham union, 1 ½ miles north-west from Steyning, containing 2,750 acres of arable, pasture, down and woodland, and a population of 341, in 1841. Assessed to the Income Tax at £2,307. The living is a rectory in the diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, deanery of Storrington, value £350 per annum, in the patronage of the Rev. John Goring, and incumbency of the Rev. C. W. A. Napier, B.A. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is chiefly in the decorated style of English architecture, and consists of a nave, chancel, south aisle, and low tower built of flint. It stands near the manor house. Wiston House & Park, the seat and property of the Rev. John Goring, is a stately mansion of the Elizabethan order; the view from the terrace is much admired; the vale to the right and left, as far as the eye can rench, is a continuation of rural beauty and richness of scenery. The park and water are well arranged; the former is extensive, and well stocked with deer; its undulating surface and stately forest trees give beauty and dignity to the whole. A turnpike road from Steyning westward passes through the parish skirting the ancient and well-wooded park of Wiston. There is a Free School for boys and girls of this parish, in the chapelry of Buncton, liberally supported by the Rev. John Goring.
Letters received through Steyning.
Goring Rev. John, Wiston Park
Napier Rev. Charles W. Albyn, B.A., Rectory
Adames Thomas, farmer, Woodman’s Farm
Goatcher George, farmer, Fair Oak
Haines Charles, farmer, Guess Gate
Howell Daniel, farm bailiff
Luff George Robert, National Free School, Buncton
Page John, farmer, Buncton
Sayers Peter, farmer, Abbot’s Farm
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner