Post Office Directory 1851, Willmington, East Sussex

Wilmington is a village and parish adjoining the road from Lewes to Eastbourne, 9 miles from Lewes, and 6 from Eastbourne, in the union of Eastbourne, hundred of Longbridge, and rape of Pevensey. The area is 1,820 acres, and the population 314, assessed at £1,517. The church, dedicated to St. Mary and St. Peter, is a small but handsome building of Norman architecture, with shingled spire. The benefice is a vicarage, value £111 per annum, in the patronage of the Earl of Burlington.

Letters received through Lewes.

Cooper Rev. George Miles

Ade James, carpenter
Ade James, shopkeeper
Davis James, baker
Davis William, pork butcher
Ellis Thomas, “Black Horse”
Gosden John, farmer
Lamb Richard, farmer
Lamb Thomas, farmer
Lewis William, farmer
Pearless Peter, wheelwright
Ridgway John, harness maker
Ridgway Thomas, shoe maker
Vine William, shoe maker
White John, blacksmith


Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home