Westhampnett is a parish 1 ½ miles east of Chichester, Box & Stockbridge hundred, rape of Chichester, and union of same name. Its area is 1,850 acres, chiefly arable land. The living is a vicarage in the patronage of the Dike of Richmond, archdeaconry of Chichester, deanery of Boxgrove, value £52 per annum, in the incumbency of the Rev. T. R. Drake, M.A. The spacious mansion-house, formerly called Westhampnett Place, but now used as the union house, is of ancient date; the house was probably built by Richard Sackville (uncle of Thomas first Lord Buckhurst), and was converted to its present purpose by the present Duke of Richmond, whose property it is. It contains about 170 inmates. The population, in 1841, was 520; the Income Tax assessment, £2,884.
Westerton, Maundling and Woodcote are hamlets of Westhampnett.
Letters received through Chichester.
Cogan Rev. Thomas White
Drake Rev. Thomas Rompe, M.A. Vicarage
Gilbert Charles, Westerton
Boswell Mrs. Mary, blacksmith, Maundling
Cogan Thomas Stevens, farmer
Ellis John, stonemason
Halstead Thomas, farmer
Hammond Thomas, boot maker
Ide Charles, boot maker, Westerton
Martin Thomas, “White Swan”
Pelley William, whitesmith, Westerton
Rushbridge George, farmer
Sadler Robert, “Coach & Horses” , & miller & maltster, Maundling
Siggs Frederick, union schoolmaster
Skeet William, master of union house
Wood Robert, “Richmond Arms”
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner