Post Office Directory 1851, Thorney Island (West Thorney), West Sussex


Thorney Island, West Thorney, or the island of Thornea, is a parish and island near the centre of the great estuary called Chichester harbour, in Bosham hundred, rape of Chichester, Westbourne union, 3 miles west of Emsworth and 10 west from Chichester. It is 3 miles in circumference, and contains 940 acres. The landed proprietors are Frederick Padwick, Esq. Sir Charles Taylor, Bart. and the Rev. C. P. Lyne, who is also incumbent of the benefice, which is a rectory, value 240 per annum. The population, in 1841, was 128; assessed at 1,769.

Letters through Emsworth

Padwick Frederick, esq.
Pennycott Theophilus, farmer
Tier Thomas, farmer


18/10/2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home