Post Office Directory 1851, Telscombe, East Sussex


Telscombe is a parish in the hundred of Holmstrow, Newhaven union, and rape of Lewes. The village is situated in a valley, secluded by the Downs, 6 miles south from Lewes. The benefice is a rectory, value 231 per annum; the church is of great antiquity; it is small and built of stone, with a square tower at the west end. The area is 1,320 acres, and the population 167, assessed at 979. Court Farm is about a mile east of Telscombe; the rents were bequeathed by Henry Smith to the poor of seven parishes in the north of England.

Letters received through Lewes

Hutchins Rev. James
Kent George, farmer
Osborn William & John, farmers


18/10/2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home