Tangmere is a small parish in Aldwick Hundred, rape of Arundel, bounded by Boxgrove, Oving & Aldingbourne; its area is 774 acres, and contained a population, in 1841, of 225, assessed at £1,803. The Duke of Richmond is the principal proprietor and patron of the living, which is a rectory, value £282 per annum, in the deanery of Pagham, and incumbency of the Rev. William Burnett, M.A. The church dedicated to St Andrew, is in the Early English style of architecture. It underwent a thorough repair a few years ago, and has been beautified by the erection of 2 handsome painted windows, by O’Connor. This parish is entitled to send 2 children to the school, and 2 widows or aged maidens to the almshouses at Boxgrove, founded & endowed by the Countess-dowager of Derby, in 1751.
Letters received through Chichester.
Burnett William, M.A., Rectory
Collins Henry, farmer
Harris George, grocer
Meaden Henry, machine maker & wheelwright
Osborn George, farmer
Osborn John, farmer
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner