North Stoke, a parish 2 miles north-by-east from Arundel, in the Hundred of Poling, rape of Arundel, containing 89 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester, value £57 per annum, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Colonel Wyndham, and incumbency of the Rev. J. H. Wardroper, M.A. The river Arun separates this parish from that of South Stoke. The parish contains 860 acres. The income Tax assessment, in 1842, was £936.
South Stoke, a parish 2 ½ miles north-north-east from Arundel, in the Hundred of Avisford, rape of Arundel, containing, with tithing of Offham, 102 inhabitants and 1,040 acres. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester, value £162 per annum, and in the patronage of Earl of Albemarle, The river Arun forms part of the boundary-line of this parish. Rev. William A. Weguelin, M.A., rector. Assessment, £1,877. Offham is a tithing of South Stoke, with 50 inhabitants.
Letters received through Arundel
Drewett John, esq. North Stoke
Weguelin Rev. William A., M.A. South Stoke
Johnson Robert, farmer, South Stoke
Oliver James “Black Rabbit”, South Stoke
Penfold Peter, farmer, South Stoke
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner