Middleton, 3 miles east from Bognor, is in Avisford hundred, and rape of Arundel. This parish has suffered much from the encroachments of sea; 362 acres remain, chiefly arable land, bounded on the west by Felpham, on the north and east by Climping, and on the south by sea. The village, which, as the name implies, formerly stood in the centre of the parish, is now on the sea-shore; the old church has been, entirely swallowed up by the sea, and a new church was erected by subscription in 1840. The living is a rectory, value £127 per annum, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, archdeaconry of Chichester, deanery Arundel, and incumbency of the Rev. George Curteis Luxford, M.A. It contained a population of 100, in 1841. Elmer is a hamlet of this parish.
Letters received through Bognor
Coote Richard, yeoman
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner