Merston, a small parish, 3 miles south-east from Chichester, and 4 ½ north-west from Bognor, in Box hundred, rape of Chichester, Westhampnett Union; its area 710 acres; the population, in 1841, was 104; assessed to the Income Tax at £1,340. The living is a rectory in the patronage of the Crown, valued at £263 per annum, diocese of Chichester, and deanery of Boxgrove. J. Godman, Esq., is lord of the manor, and the chief owner of the soil. The Arundel & Porstmouth Canal, and the road from Chichester to Bognor, both pass through this parish. The incumbent is the Rev. Eusebius Cornwall
Letters received through Chichester.
Carpenter Charles, farmer
Collins George, farmer
Peskett john, farm bailiff
Peskett Miss Martha, National infant school
Tipper Henry, carpenter
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner