Post Office Directory 1851, Mayfield, East Sussex

Mayfield is a parish and town on the high road from Tunbridge to Hailsham and the south, 8 ½ miles south of Tunbridge Wells, 5 north of Uckfield, and 42 from London, in Loxfield Pelham hundred, Pevensey rape, and Uckfield union, with 13,570 acres, and a population of 2,943, assessed to the Income Tax at £9,731. The benefice is a vicarage, value £834 per annum, a peculiar of Canterbury, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Kirby. The town was long remarkable as having been the site of a palace of the Archbishop of Canterbury, said to have been erected, together with the original church, by St. Dunstan. Provincial synods were held here in 1332 and 1362, and Archbishops Mcopham, Stratford and Islip died here. Queen Elizabeth visited Sir Thomas Gresham here; and Thomas May, the historian of the Long Parliament, was born in the palace in 1595. Mayfield is a polling place for East Sussex. The market is held on Wednesday, which is for corn & seeds; and the annual fairs on the 30th May and 13th November, for cattle & sheep. Mayfield is situated on the summit of a hill, the prospect from it in every direction is rich and varied. The parish is very extensive; and the general appearance of Mayfield has an aspect of ancient grandeur about it particularly attractive to the antiquary. The manor is the property of the Marquis Camden. Under the Reform Act of 1832, it was appointed a polling place for East Sussex, and the votes are registered in one of the rooms of the old palace, said to have been built by St. Dunstan sometime in the 10th century. The principal object deserving notice in the ruins of the old palace is the magnificent banqueting hall, which is 70 feet long, and 39 feet wide; the three arches which formerly supported the open roof are still remaining entire. The hall roof was taken off towards the end of the 18th century. The accidental falling of some plaster at the upper end of the hall, discovered a mitre, formed of roses, carved in stone, which is supposed to have been the spot where the Archbishops chair was placed. At the opposite end of the hall are three painted arches, outside of which was the archbishop’s private chapel; the niches in which the holy water was placed still remain. Immediately to the right of this chapel are some steps descending to a doorway, said to have been the entrance to the subterranean passage which led to the church. The grand staircase, leading to what were the principal apartments, is a massive piece of stone-work, and leads into a large wainscoted room, wherein are deposited the celebrated reliques of St. Dunstan, viz., his sword, an anvil and hammer. The kitchen, the dining room and the kitchen chamber merit particular notice, from the antique style they are built. In the dining room, which is now used as a hop store, there is an old iron chimney-back, dated 1663. A large and noble arch, by which access was formerly obtained, has been built up, and a door introduced; it is now a private residence. The east end of the palace is now used a s a farmhouse. The church is a large commodious building, with square tower and 6 bells, dedicated to St Dunstan, and built in the later style of English architecture; it is capable of holding about 1,000 persons. In the church there are numerous monuments of the Baker family. The incumbent is the Rev. Henry Thomas Murdoch Kirby. Here are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. The charities are £23 per annum.

Barclay Donald, esq. Sunny Banks
Day Mrs. Hadlow House
Fry Mrs. Skippers Hill
Gopsill John, esq. Mount Pleasant
Hill Mrs. Mary Ann
Johnson Mrs. Ann
Kirby Rev. Henry Thomas Murdock, (rector), Vicarage
Morgan Thomas, esq. (magistrate), Marriam’s
Springatt William Lee, esq. Summer Hill
Stone Miss Maria Ann
Stone Nicholas, esq.
Tench Edward, esq. Middle House

Arnold George, blacksmith
Austen Benjamin, farmer
Avery Joel, farmer
Avery Thomas, farmer
Avery William, farmer
Baker John, farmer
Baker John Baker, farmer
Bassett John, farmer
Branwall William, surgeon
Bridger John, farmer
Bridger Thomas, farmer
Bridger Thomas, farmer
Brissenden William, farmer
Brooks Thomas, farmer
Buss Benjamin, solicitor
Colman James, farmer
Cornford Robert, farmer
Cornwell Michael, farmer
Cornwell Richard, farmer
Dadswell Edward, farmer
Dudney Gilbert, academy
Duly Daniel, farmer
Durrant Robert, farmer
Durrant Thomas Parker, auctioneer & farmer
Eldridge William, farmer
Ellis Edward, shopkeeper
Fenner Charles, saddler
Fenner Henry, tailor
Fenner James, inspector of weights & measurements
Fenner Mrs. Rebecca, tailor
Fenner William, tailor & agent to the Phoenix fire & life assurance
Gallop Henry, blacksmith
Gilbert William, shopkeeper
Gravely Mrs. Elizabeth, brewer
Guest James, farmer
Guest John, farmer
Hallet James, farmer
Head Edward, “Five Ash,” & farmer
Hickmott Henry, hairdresser
Holder George, shoe maker
Homewood George, farmer
Hooker Stephen, relieving officer, & agent to the Kentish fire & life assurance
Hosmond George, builder
Howell Henry, farmer
Huggett John, farmer
Jemmett Robert, chemist
Jenner Samuel, “Rose & Crown”
Kemp Henry, watchmaker
Kemp Richard, shoe maker
King Henry, solicitor
King John, shoe maker
Lade Luke, beer retailer
Marchant Thomas, farmer
Marchant William, farmer
Martin Nicholas, farmer
Martin William, farmer
Moran Charles, farmer
Millen Joseph, cooper
Millen Thomas, butcher
Noakes Henry, farmer
Noakes John, farmer
Norrington Henry, shopkeeper
Oliver George, farmer
Ovenden Thomas, farmer
Packham John, farmer
Packham John, farmer
Packham Samuel, farmer
Packham William, miller & farmer
Payte John, “Royal Oak”
Piper Edward, plumber
Piper Robert, farmer
Pratt Jesse, farmer
Rabson Henry, farmer
Richardson George, bricklayer
Richardson Michael, bricklayer
Rochester Ansley, farmer
Rogers James, farmer
Rose Alexander “Star”
Smith George, farmer
Standen Thomas, miller & farmer
Stapely John, farmer
Stevenson George, farmer
Stevenson John, farmer
Stevenson Thomas, farmer
Taylor Thomas, farmer
Taylor William, farmer
Tompsett James & Henry, farmers
Tompsett Benjamin, miller & farmer
Tompsett Jesse, farmer
Tooth George, farmer
Tooth William, farrier & spirit merchant
Verrall John Trayton, blacksmith
Wallis Michael, surgeon & registrar
Walter Thomas, farmer
Weston Aaron, miller
Weston Joel, builder
Weston John, farmer
Wickens Amos, farmer
Wickens Joseph, farmer
Wickens Stephen, farmer
Wilsmore Henry, shopkeeper

Post Office – Edward Ellis, postmaster. Letters arrive every morning from London & other parts, at 7am & dispatched 7.45pm by foot post to Uckfield

National School, John Westbrook, master; Mrs Frances Westbrook, mistress

Carriers To:-
Tunbridge Wells – Alexander Rose, every tues. & fri. returning same day; Benjamin Bridger, every mon. & thurs. returning same day; James Martin every sat. returning same day
Lewes – James Martin, every tues. night, returning on wed.


Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home