East Marden, a parish 8 miles north-west of Chichester, and 8 miles south-east of Petersfield, in Westbourne, hundred & union, diocese of Chichester, deanery of Boxgrove. Its area is 968 acres; population, in 1841, was 67. The living is a vicarage, value £162 per annum, in the incumbency of the Rev. C. P. Lyne. The church has been re-pewed, roofed, and otherwise repaired. W. Leyland Woods esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of the soil.
North Marden is a small parish, 7 miles south-east from Petersfield, and 9 north from Chichester, in Westbourne hundred & union, diocese of Chichester, deanery of Boxgrove, with 682 acres of arable, pasture, and down land, population of 19 in 1841. The living is a rectory, value £70 per annum, in the gift of Admiral Hornby, who is also lord of the manor, and owner of the soil.
Letters received through Petersfield
Lucas Richard, farmer, East Marden
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner