Lurgashall, or Lurgeshall, is a village, 5 miles north-west from Petworth, in the rape of Arundel, and hundred of Rotherbridge. The church is an ancient structure, consists of a nave and a modern chancel, with a heavy tower on the south side. The benefice is a rectory, value £235 per annum, in the patronage of Colonel Wyndham. The parish contains 4,990 acres, population of 771, in 1841; and Income Tax assessment, in 1842, of £2,539.
Post Office - Noah Hill, receiver. Letters through Petworth, arrive 9.30am; dispatched 5pm
Fairless Rev. Septimus
Henry James, esq.
Anticknapp Henry, blacksmith
Challen William, farmer
Chalwin James, shopkeeper
Cooper William, miller & farmer
Hill Noah, “Noah’s Ark,” & farmer
Knight James, farmer
Lickfold Edward, farmer
Lickfold Frederick, farmer
Luff Henry, farmer
Saunders James, shopkeeper & bricklayer
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner