Post Office Directory 1851, Glynde, East Sussex


Glynde is a parish 3 miles south-east of Lewes, in the Ringmer hundred, Pevensey rape, and Chailey union; the area is 1,551 acres, and the population 300, assessed at 1,384. The benefice is a vicarage, with glebe house, value 142 per annum, a peculiar of Canterbury, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons if Windsor. It derives its name from the old Saxon word, glen or valley. The church is in the Grecian style, erected in 1765. Glynde Place is an ancient mansion, with fine views. Glyndbourn was the birthplace of William Hay, M.P., a literary man.

Post Office Taylor Spencer, receiver. Letters are received through Lewes at 9am; dispatched 5pm.

Gentry
Dacre Lord
De St. Croix Rev. William
Langham Sir James bart. Glyndbourn House

Traders
Griffiths & Son, carpenter
Page Leonard, shoe maker
Riley Alfred Thomas, farmer
Taylor Joseph, blacksmith
Weller David, shoe maker
Weller Henry, butcher
Weller William, bricklayer
Woodman Richard, farmer


30/09/2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home