Fishbourne, a small pleasant village 1 1.2 miles west from Chichester, in Box hundred, rape of Chichester, Westhampnett union. Its area is 610 acres; the population in 1841, was 295. Assessment to the Income Tax, £2,299. The living is a rectory in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Stair Douglas, M.A., value £189 per annum. The principal land owner is Francis Smith, esq., of Salt Hill Park. The turnpike road, from Chichester to Portsmouth, passes through the village, and the south-coast railway also passes through the parish.
Letters received through Chichester
Field George, esq.
Greening Thomas, esq. M.D.
Howard William Nelson, esq. Lodge
Johnson Miss Emily
Lomer Mrs. S.
Smith Francis, esq. Salt Hill Park
Ayling Henry, gardener
Eastland George, “Bull’s Head”
Freeland Joseph, sheep & cattle dealer
Freeland Joseph, jun. farmer
Mathews William Richard, baker
Powell Mrs. Elizabeth, boot maker
Robbins William, shopkeeper
Shepherd James, miller
Shepherd James, jun. millwright
Sowter William, shopkeeper
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner