Post Office Directory 1851, Ferring, West Sussex


Ferring, or West Ferring, is a parish 3 miles west of Worthing, and 4 miles east of Littlehampton, in Poling hundred, rape of Arundel, with 1,070 acres, and a population of 285. Income Tax assessment, in 1842, was 2,227. The benefice is a vicarage with that of East Preston and rectory of Kingston, value 250, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chichester, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Dixon, M.A.

Letters received through Worthing.

Gentry
Blue Richard, esq.
Dixon Rev. Henry, M.A. (vicar)
Hanson N. esq. M.D.
Henty Edwin, esq.
Simmons Mrs.

Traders
Cortis John, farmer
Golds John, farmer
Hide Thomas, boot maker
Holding Henry carpenter & parish clerk
Mittens Thomas, farmer
Moore Miss Eliza, shopkeeper
Moore John, beer retailer & bootmaker
Roots William, shopkeeper
Trusler Thomas, farmer
Winton Thomas, shopkeeper


29/09/2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home