FAIRLIGHT is a parish in Guestling Hundred and rape of Hastings, with 2,230 acres, and a population of 531, assessed at £2,844. The benefice is a vicarage, value £502, per annum, and in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. J. C. Young, M.A. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a handsome structure with nave, chancel and a lofty embattled tower, in the later style of the early English; the first stone was laid by Mrs. Milward (now Countess Waldegrave), May 19th, 1845; it stands on a very elevated site, and is quite a beacon at sea. The site of the mill, on the top of the Down, is 599 feet above the level of the sea.
Batley George, esq. Fairlight place
Marteneau Philip, esq. Lantern house
Shadwell William Dent Lucas, esq.
Thorp James Manser, esq.
Young Rev. Julian Charles, M.A.
Arkcoll Isaac, farmer
Barden William, blacksmith
Breeds James, farmer
Buss William, carpenter
Field James, farmer
Field Samuel, parish clerk
Gallop John, farmer
Harman George, shoemaker
Jenner Henry, farmer, Tile Kiln farm
Knight William, farmer
Martin George, boot and shoe maker
Oliver Thomas, grocer & draper
Overy Robert, “Two Sawyers”
Thorpe Christopher, sen. Farmer
Thorpe Edwin Ades, farmer, Marsham farm
Turner Stephen, currier
Letters received through Hastings.
Transcribed by Domonic Paul Motto