Edburton is a small village in Burbeach & Poynings hundred, Bramber & Lewes rapes, and adjoining parish of Woodmancote; it is 5 miles from Steyning, and 4 from Henfield. The church is small but neat. There is a free school here. The area is 2,580 acres; the population 318, of whom in the village 142; the Income Tax assessment, in 1842, was £1,019. The benefice is a rectory, a peculiar of Canterbury, value £379 per annum, in the patronage of the archbishop, and incumbency of the Rev. J. C. F. Tuffnell.
Fulking is a hamlet, assessed, in 1842, at £735.
Letters received through Steyning.
Marchant Thomas, esq.
Tuffnell Rev. John Charles Fowell (rector)
Barber George, parish clerk & carpenter
Blaker Nathaniel, farmer
Guttriss James, market gardener
Hersey Daniel, market gardener
Lelliot William, market gardener
Stevens James, farmer
Strivens James, jun. “Shepherd & Dog”
Tribe John, farmer
Welling William James, bricklayer
Willett Edward, grocer
Willett Miss Margaret, mistress of the free school
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner