Post Office Directory 1851, East Dean (near Chichester), West Sussex

East Dean, a village 7 ½ miles north-east from Chichester, in Westbourne hundred and union, rape of Chichester, situated in a narrow valley of the population, in 1841, was 433; assessed to the Income Tax at £1,580. The living is a vicarage, value £86 per annum, in the diocese of Chichester, and deanery of Boxgrove, and the patronage of the Rev. T. W. Cogan, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Cogan, M.A.

West Dean, in the same jurisdiction as East Dean, is a large parish, containing 4,480 acres of arable, pasture and wood land, and a population of 657 in 1841. The scenery is rich, and varied with hill and dale. The Hon. Mrs. Leveson Vernon Harcourt is chief proprietor of the soil. The village is situated at the base of the Downs, about 5 miles north-east from Chichester, and 6 ½ south-east from Midhurst. The river Lavant intersects the parish, passing close to the village through West Dean Park. The ancient manor house was built in the reign of James I. by John Lewknor, Esq., and was the family seat of his descendants; the present beautiful mansion was built about the year 1804, by John, Lord Selsey; it is in the monastic order of the lower centuries, built entirely of squared flints, and exhibit’s a frontage of 300 feet, and stands in an extensive and well-wooded park; it is now the property and residence of the Rev. L. V. and Hon. Mrs Harcourt. The benefice is a vicarage in the patronage of the Dean & Chapter of Chichester, and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Henry Hutchinson, M.A. A free school, for boys and girls, was built, and since supported, by the Rev. L.V. and Hon. Mrs. Harcourt. Chilgrove is a tithing belonging to this parish.

Binderton, in Westbourne hundred, rape of Chichester, Westhampnett union, is sometimes considered a tithing of West Dean, but is a distinct chapelry, and is separately assessed in all parochial rates and taxes. It contains 1,790 acres and 75 inhabitants; Income Tax assessment £1,016. It anciently belonged to the Cistercian nuns of Tarrent, in Dorsetshire, but afterwards became the property of Lord Lumley; the family of Smyth became seised of it, and subsequently, by exchange, it became the property of Sir James Peachy, Bart., and is inherited by the Hon. Mrs. Leveson Vernon Harcourt. The present mansion is occupied by the Rev. W. H. L. R. Johnson.

Singleton is a large parish in a valley of the Downs, 6 miles north-east of Chichester, and 5 ½ south-east from Midhurst, in Westbourne hundred and union, rape of Chichester. Its area is 5,010 acres; the soil is generally a light chalk. The chief landed proprietors, the Duke of Richmond and Colonel George Wyndham. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the former, value £115 per annum.

Charlton is a tithing or hamlet 1 mile from Singleton; it is a manor farm, as is also the tithing of Downley. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Chichester, and deanery of Boxgrove, in the patronage of the Duke of Richmond and incumbency of the Rev. F. A. Bowles, M.A. The population, in 1841, was 563; Income Tax assessment £2,081. Drove House, late the residence of F. Tyson, Esq., is now the seat of Colonel G. Wyndham. Here is a National School for boys and girls, and a Free School for girls, supported by Mrs. Colonel G. Wyndham.

East Dean
Cogan Rev. Henry, M.A. Vicarage

Clifford Henry, blacksmith
Cousins Thomas, farmer, Selhurst Farm
Fogden Edmund, farmer
Fogden William, farmer
Freeborn John, carpenter & wheelwright
Freeborn Joseph, “Star & Garter”
Johnson Thomas, farmer
Locke Mrs. Eliza, National School
Norrell George, beer retailer
Savage George, grocer & baker

West Dean
Harcourt Rev. Leveson Vernon & Hon. Mrs. West Dean House
Hutchinson Rev. Charles Henry, M.A. Vicarage
Paxton Henry, esq.
Woods William Leyland, esq. chi grove

Berryman Benjamin, farmer
Bowers John, steward to Rev. L. V. Harcourt
Boxall Frederick, grocer
Couzens George, boot maker & post office receiving house
Game John, farmer, Chilgrove
Goldring George, wheelwright
Goldring Thomas, seedsman
Hipkin William, farmer
Humphrey Mrs. Elizabeth boot maker & “Selsey Arms”
Inkpen James, bricklayer
Jenner John, boys free school
Newman Arthur, farmer, Lo9dge Hill
Pannell William, grocer & baker
Pinnix Joseph Atwick, farmer
Pontin William, carpenter
Pratt John, blacksmith
Rasell Robert, “White Horse”, & blacksmith
Treagus James, farmer, Chilgrove

Bowles Rev. Francis Alfred, M.A.
March Lord Charles, M.P. Molcomb
Wise Daniel

Adames Ephriam, relieving officer
Aylward John, farmer
Baigent William, boot maker & post office receiving house
Dearling John, farmer
Ewens John, farmer, Charlton
Farley Miss Caroline, linen draper
Farley Edward, “Fox & Hounds,” & cabinet maker
Farley James, cabinet maker & carpenter
Glover Christopher, farmer, Charlton
Harris George, “Horse & Groom”
Leamon Joseph, brewer
Legg Henry, farmer
Newman Misses Susan & Caroline, farmer
Pratt William, blacksmith
Smart Edward, grocer & baker
Sowton Henry, farmer
Turner Nathaniel Blaker, surgeon
Williams James Young, “Fox”

Post Office, West Dean - George Couzens, receiver. At Singleton, William Baigent, receiver. Letters arrive from Chichester 8.15am; dispatched at 5.30pm

Johnson Rev. William Henry Luttman Robinson, Binderton House

Calhoun Walter James, farmer, Preston Farm
Woods William, farmer, Crow’s Hole farm

Letters received through Chichester


Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home