Eartham, a parish 7 miles north-east from Chichester, and 6 ½ miles north-west of Arundel, in Box hundred, rape of Chichester, Westhampnett union; bounded on the east by Slindon, on the west by Boxgrove, and on the south by Aldingbourne. The area is 2,110 acres. The population, in 1841, was 117, assessed at £1,260. The soil consists of chalk marl and sand. The chief landed proprietor is the Hon. Mrs Huskisson. The living is a vicarage, value £186 per annum, in the patronage of the prebendary of Eartham, deanery of Boxgrove, archdeaconry of Chichester; and the incumbency of the Rev. E. H. Goddard.
Letters received through Chichester.
Huskisson Hon. Mrs.
Johnson George, “George”
Bailey George, steward to the Hon. Mrs. Huskisson
White Thomas, farmer
07 Sep 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner