Compton, a small pleasant village, 9 miles north-west from Chichester, and 5 south from Petersfield, in Westbourne hundred and union, rape of Chichester, bounded by Upmarden on the south and east, on the north by Harting, and on the west by Idsworth, in Hampshire. Its area is 1,750 acres, and a population of 274 in 1841. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat structure, with chancel, nave and south aisle, and has been repaired and beautified. The benefice is a vicarage united with that of Upmarden, value £132 per annum, in the patronage of M. R. Langdale, esq., and incumbency of the Rev. William, Typer. The income Tax assessment £1,388. Admiral Phipps Hornby is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil.
Letters received through Petersfield.
Drury Rev. Charles Rous, M.A.
Tyner Rev. William
Aburrow George, tailor & shopkeeper
Bell Stephen, blacksmith
Benford David, timber dealer
Benford George, “Coach & Horses”
Brown George, carpenter
Chase Henry, bricklayer
Hunt James, smith
Lillywhite Thomas & Son, grocers, drapers, bakers and post office receiving house
Lucas William, farmer
Tribe William, National School
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner