Post Office Directory 1851, Chidham, West Sussex


Chidham is a parish, 5 miles west of Chichester, in Bosham hundred, rape of Chichester, Westbourne union; is bounded on the south by Bosham creek and Thorney channel, and on the north by Westbourne; its area is 1,200 acres; population, in 1851, was 318. The village is small, situated near the centre of the peninsula made by the two creeks before mentioned, and about 1 mile south of the turnpike road from Chichester to Emsworth. The living is a vicarage, in the deanery of Boxgrove, and was formerly appropriated to the College of Bosham; in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Smith, M.A.; annual value 130.

Letters received through Emsworth.

Gentry
Delme Edward, Esq.

Traders
Ayling Thomas, carpenter
Earndell Arthur Warren, farmer
Goldring John, farmer
Hackett Henry, market gardener
Hackett John, market gardener
Hackett Stephen, market gardener
Jordan George, blacksmith
Kennett William, farmer
Pennicott Abraham, boot maker
Poole Thomas, market gardener
Sainsbury Thomas, farmer
Wyatt Edward, farmer, auctioneer, land surveyor & estate agent
Wyatt Henry, National School


11/11/2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home