Bury is a large parish giving its name to a hundred in the rape of Arundel. It contains 3,340 acres, with a population, in 1841, of 611, and in 1842, an Income Tax assessment of £3,590. The benefice is a vicarage, value £100 per annum, in the patronage of the prebendary of Bury, in Chichester Cathedral; the incumbent is the Rev. Richmond Powell, M.A. It is on the Arundel road, and the navigable river Arun, 5 miles north of Arundel.
West Burton is a tything of Bury, with a population, in 1841, of 201.
Post Office - clement Goodyer, receiver. Letters received from Arundel 8.30am; dispatched 5.30pm
Powell rev. Richmond, M.A. (vicar)
Bateman Thomas, blacksmith
Fuller Francis, farmer
Goodyer Clement, “White Horse”
Heath Charles, farmer
Ireland Edward, farmer
Johnson John, farmer
Newland Charles, farmer, West Burton
Marshall Richard, miller & farmer, West Burton
Parrettt George, farmer, Bury
Upperton Luke, farmer, West Burton
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner