Post Office Directory 1851, Boxgrove, West Sussex

Boxgrove is a large parish in Box hundred, rape of Chichester, Westhampnett union, containing about 3,410 statute acres, of which about 1,700 acres are arable and pasture, and the remainder down land. It is bounded by the surrounding parishes of East Dean, Westhampnett, Tangmere, and Eartham. The soil is for the most part good, though of various quality; gravel, loam, and chalk being found in different districts. The principal landowners are the Duke of Richmond, Countess of Newburgh, and Richard Hasler, Esq. Within the demesnes of Goodwood were formerly the ruins of Halnaker house, which stood on a commanding eminence in a small park, containing some Spanish chestnut trees of great size and beauty; the original structure to have been built by Robert de Haia, who had married a lady of the royal blood, to whom the manor was given by Henry I. The manor house is said to have been built by Sir Thomas West, who married, early in the reign of Henry VIII., Elizabeth, the heiress of John Bonville, of Halnaker. Half a mile to the south of Halnaker are the ruins of the Priory of Boxgrove, founded by Robert de Haia, in the reign of Henry I.; the church and the refectory are the only remains of the conventual’s buildings; the ancient parochial church, which was probably the nave, and of the early Norman era, has been entirely destroyed; that part of the church eastward of the village was the conventual’s chapel, and is now used as the parish church; a doorway with Norman arches opened into a cloister, which extended to the refectory and the apartments of the monks. The benefice is a vicarage, value £687 per annum, in the archdeaconry of Chichester, and the head of the deanery of Boxgrove; it is in the patronage of the Duke of Richmond; the incumbent is the Rev. William Turner, M.A. A nave and chancel, without division, and 2 aisle, constitute the present church, which is dedicated to St. Mary and St. Blaize; the interior is particularly handsome. Among the monuments in this church, in commemoration of the countess of Derby; this lady, who died in 1752, in her 85th year, was remarkable for her charity, and is represented on her monument sitting under and oak, and relieving poor travellers, and pointing to a building representing a hospital in this parish of her foundation. This hospital was founded by the Countess, in 1741, for the reception of 12 old women, also a school for 6 boys, who are clothed, and the same number of girls. Goodwood, the seat of His Grace the Duke of Richmond, for the most part lies within this parish; the house consists of a centre and 2 wings, receding at an angle of 45 degrees. The principal front is 166 feet long, and each of the wings 106 feet; in the centre is a fine portico for entrance, having 6 Ionic columns above, supported by 6 Doric ones below; it is surrounded by a balustrade; at all the corners are circular towers, having flat-domed roofs. The grounds which surround this fine structure are pleasingly diversified; oak timber of the forest growth, and the wide spreading beech, whose limbs touch the ground, adorn the extensive park, whilst numerous cedars of Lebanon, of a remarkable size and beauty, Virginian tulip trees, cork trees, and other exotic, give variety and interest to the foliage. The interior of Goodwood House is pleasing, and contains paintings by the first masters. Boxgrove was formerly a place of importance, giving name to the hundred and deanery. The population, in 1841, was 736. The Income Tax assessment £4,754.

Crocker Hill, Easthampnett, and Seabeach, are hamlets, the latter is partly in Eartham parish.

Halnaker & Strettington are tithing of Boxgrove.

Post Office - W. Soane, receiver, Halnaker. Letters arrive from Chichester at 8am; dispatched 7.15pm

Endowed School, George Ure, master; Mrs. Hannah Smith, mistress

Richmond His Grace the Duke of, Goodwood House
Balmer Thomas, esq. Goodwood
Bridger William Milton, esq. Halnaker
Souter George, Strettington
Turner Rev. William, M.A. Vicarage

Adames Charles, farmer & miller
Bailey Charles, farm bailiff
Bailey George Tower, farmer, Halnaker
Budd John, blacksmith, Crocker Hill
Balmer Thomas, steward to the Duke of Richmond
Burchett William, baker
Cobden Hugh, “Anglesey Arms”
Earwicker Joseph, carpenter & wheelwright
Fogden Alexander, farmer, Strettington
Freeland Charles, farmer, Crocker Hill
Gillam Charles, saddler, Strettington
Kent John, trainer of racehorses, Goodwood
McCarthy John, boot maker, Halnaker
Millyard Edmund, “Winterton Arms”, Crocker Hill
Moore Alfred, blacksmith, Halnaker
Pennicott Charles, tailor, Halnaker
Soane William, carpenter & post office receiving house, Halnaker
Souter George, jun. farmer
Stamp Charles, farmer
Stamp Charles, jun. butcher
Watkins Mrs Ann, grocer & baker
Wheatcroft James, boot maker


Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home