Post Office Directory 1851, Barnham, West Sussex


Barnham, a small parish 7 miles east of Chichester, and 5 south-west from Aru8ndel, in Avisford hundred, rape of Arundel, Westhampnett union, containing upwards of 800 acres. In 1851 the population was 150. The Arundel & Portsmouth Canal intersects the southern district of the parish, the western road from Worthing, and also the South Coast & Brighton Railway skirts the northern boundary of the parish. The Railway station at Woodgate is distant about 1 mile north-west from the village. The principal proprietors are the Duke of Richmond, Charles Crosbie, Esq., and Mr Richard Cosens, the latter of whom resides in the fine old mansion built in the Elizabethan style, and stands near the church. The living is a vicarage, value 67 per annum.

Letters received through Arundel.

Traders
Cagier James, market gardener
Cosens Richard, yeoman
New Mrs Ann, baker & miller
New Mrs Elizabeth, farmer
New George, farmer
Rose Charles, farmer


11/11/2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home