Post Office Directory 1851, Ashington, West Sussex


Ashington-cum-Buncton is a parish 4 miles north-west from Steyning, in West Grinstead hundred, rape of Bramber, Thakeham union, with 1,272 acres. The living is a rectory, with chapelry of Buncton annexed. The tithes are commuted at 288 per annum, in the patronage of the Duke of Norfolk, and incumbency of the Rev. R. Blakiston, M.A., assessed at 1,123. The ancient chapel of Buncton is open for divine service only 6 times a year; this has been the custom from time immemorial.

Letters received through Hurstpierpoint

Blakiston Rev. Robert, M.A., rectory

Traders
Baker Alfred, grocer, draper, hatter, post office, & agent to county fire & Provident life office
Elliott Edwin, farmer
Peachey Walter, farmer
Skinner Charles, boot maker & parish clerk
Skinner Joseph, farmer & maltster
Suter James, farmer & timber valuer
Wolven Henry, tailor
Wood William, carpenter & builder


01/11/2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home