Post Office Directory 1851, Amberley, West Sussex

Amberley is a parish in West Easwrith hundred and rape of Arundel, with a population of 722, and 3,030 acres. The Income Tax assessment is £4,314. The benefice is a vicarage, with that of Houghton annexed, value £166 per annum, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chichester; the incumbent is the Rev. George Clarkson. The castle of Amberley is situated on the east side of the navigable river Arun, 4 miles north from Arundel, on one of the roads to Chichester. It was the seat of the Bishops of Chichester during many centuries, the site having been anciently granted to them. The plan is that a of a parallelogram, and the edifice was built in 1369 by Bishop Rede. In 1643, the castle was captured by Waller. In the state apartments is the Queen’s room, with some curious paintings, and a series of ten female figures, with a carved ceiling.

Rackham is a hamlet of Amberley, with a population of 188.

Post Office - Mrs Mary Penfold, receiver. Letters received through Arundel, 10am; dispatched 4.15pm

Clarkson Rev. George

Bushby Henry, grocer
Cooper James, lime burner
Gradwick Henry, bricklayer
Guning James, bricklayer
Harwood John, farmer
Humphrey Henry, farmer
Marshall John, blacksmith
Mills James, millwright
Newell Daniel, farmer
Parsons John, carpenter
Penfold Thomas, shoe maker
Penicott John, tailor
Rackham Andrew, plumber & glazier
Ratley John, shoemaker
Rose George, farmer
Rose George, gun maker
Rutley John, shoemaker
Slaughter Phillip, wheelwright
Smart William, “Houghton Bridge”
Standen William, shoemaker


Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home