Upmarden is a large parish 5 miles south (over the hill) from Elsted railway station on the Midhurst & Petersfield branch of the South western railway, and 7 from Emsworth Station, on the Brighton & Portsmouth line, and about the same distance west from singleton station on the Midhurst & Chichester branch of the L.B.&S.C. railway, 10 north-west from Chichester, and 7 south-east from Petersfield, in the South Western division of the county, Westbourne hundred and union, Chichester petty sessional, county court district, rape, rural deanery of Boxgrove No. 2, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church of St. Michael is a small and ancient structure of white stone, in the Early English style, and has a western turret of wood containing 3 bells; there are 60 sittings. The register dates from the year 1714. The living is a rectory, united to the vicarage of Compton, joint gross yearly value £313, with 35 acres of glebe, in the gift of Mrs. Langdale, of Compton, and held since 1907 by the Rev. Ernest Henry Sanderson M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge, who resides at Compton. Watergate House, is the seat of William Miller Christy esq. is partly in this and partly in the adjoining parish of Stoughton; it stands in a well wooded park, at a short distance from the road, and was erected by William Drury (sometime gentleman of the Privy Chamber to Charles I.) before 1609, but has since been twice rebuilt, the last time in 1882 by the present owner‘s father. Harold James Reckitt esq. B.A., J.P. is lord of the manor and William Miller Christy esq. is the principal landowner. The soil is chalky marly; subsoil, chalk with flints. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,903 acres; rateable value, £1,861; and the population in 1911 was 299.
Letters arrive from East Marden via Chichester at 8am
West Marden is a hamlet or chapelry within the parish. The chapel, however, was destroyed many years since and no vestige of it now remains. There is a mission room, in which divine service is held weekly during the winter months, and also an undenominational mission room.
Post Office, West Marden - Robert Hedgecock, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive via Emsworth. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Compton, 1 mile distant.
The children of this parish attend the school at Compton.
Christy William Miller, Watergate House
Powall David, farmer
Windebank Charles, farmer, Lower Farm
Bevis Major Cecil Bevis, West Marden Hall
Girling Frank Ernest
Wallace Miss, Ivy Cottage
Cousins Thomas, carpenter
Galpin Herbert, farm bailiff to H.J. Reckitt esq. B.A., J.P.
Tees Frederick, blacksmith
10 Jan 2008
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner