Kelly's Directory 1918, Up Waltham, West Sussex


Up Waltham is a parish on the high road from Petworth to Chichester, 4 miles south-west from Petworth station, on the Midhurst branch of the L, B & S C railway, 6 south-west from Petworth & 8 north-east from Chichester, in the south-western division of the county, Box & Stockbridge hundred, Chichester rape, petty sessional division and county court district, Westhampnett union, rural deanery of Boxgrove, archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of the Ascension is of stone in the Early English style, and has a small turret on the south side containing one bell; there are 54 sittings. The register dates from the year 1790. The living is a rectory, net yearly value 100, with 7 acres of glebe in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held since 1912 by the Rev. Alington Hatton Hildebrand B.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge, who is also rector of & resides at Duncton. Lord Leconfield is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The parish forms a portion of the South Downs, of which the soil is chalky and the surface boldly undulated. The chief crops are wheat, barley & roots. The area is 1,275 acres; rateable value 315; the population in 1911 was 67.

Letters through Petworth, delivery once a day. The nearest post office is a Duncton & money order & telegraph office is at Sutton, 4 miles distant.

Wall Letter Box in the village.

The children of this parish attend the schools at Dunton & Eastdean.

Hansell Miss Carol
Stickland James
Childs John, farmer, Upper Waltham farm
Hitchcock & Heater, farmers


10 Jan 2008

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home