North Marden is a parish 5 miles south from Elsted station on the Midhurst branch of the South Western railway, 5 ½ miles west from Singleton station on the Midhurst to Chichester branch of the L.B.&S.C. railway, and 8 south-east from Petersfield, and 6 south-west from Midhurst, in the south-western division of the county, Westbourne hundred & union, Chichester rape, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Boxgrove and in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St Mary the Virgin, is an ancient Norman structure of flint and stone and has a turret containing 1 bell; the church was restored and reseated in 1887-8, and has 70 sittings. There is no register prior to the year 1813. The living is a rectory, net income £74, with 9 acres of glebe, in the gift of Harold James Reckitt esq., and held since 1916 by the Rev. John Francis B.A. of Lampster, who is also rector of East Marden where he resides. Harold James Reckitt esq., who is lord of the manor and Earl Russell are the sole landowners. The soil is chalky marl; subsoil, chalk with flint. The chief crops are wheat barley & oats. The area is 697 acres of arable, pasture and down land; rateable value, £232; the population in 1911 was 10
Parish Clerk, James Loten
Letters arrive via Chichester. The nearest telegraph & money order office is at Harting
Letter Box at East Marden.
The children of this parish attend the school at East Marden
Mitchell S. (Mrs), farmer
10 Jan 2008
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner