East Marden is a parish 5 miles north-west from Lavant station & 5 ½ miles west from Singleton station on the Midhurst to Chichester branch of the L.B.&S.C. railway, 9 miles north-west from Chichester, and 9 south-east from Petersfield, and is in the south-western division of the county, Westbourne hundred & union, Chichester rape, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Boxgrove and in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St Peter, said to date from the 12th century, is of flint, in the Early English style and has a turret containing 1 bell; it was repaired in 1847, and the restoration completed in 1875, and in 1906 a vestry and chamber for heating apparatus were added; there are several inscriptions to the Battine family; the church affords 120 sittings. The register for baptisms & burials dates from the year 1691; marriage 1755. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £92, with residence & 1 ½ acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held since 1916 by the Rev. John Francis B.A. of Lampster, who is also rector of North Marden. Thomas W. Thorpe esq. is lord of the manor, and Harold James Reckitt esq. B.A., J.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is chalk marl; subsoil, chalk & flint. The chief crops are wheat, barley & oats. The boundaries of the parish were revised in 1881 so as to get rid of detached portions, when by Local Government Orders, 6 detached portions of Stoughton were added to East Marden, and a detached portion of East Marden was annexed to Compton; and the area is 932 acres; rateable value, £712; the population in 1911 was 101 in the civil and 57 in the ecclesiastical parish (which includes parts of East Marden & Compton civil parishes)
Parish Clerk, Mrs F. Glue
Post Office - James Reed, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive via Chichester. Compton is the nearest money order & telegraph office 3 miles distant
Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1845, chiefly at the cost of the late W. Leyland Woods esq. for 50 children, & has an endowment of £10 yearly, bequeathed by the late Miss Phipps, of Little Green; Mrs Alice Baxendale, mistress
Francis Rev. John B.A. (rector) Rectory
Thorpe Thomas W.
Dowle William George, farm bailiff to Thomas W. Thorpe esq.
10 Jan 2008
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner