Kelly's Directory 1918, Earnley, West Sussex


Earnley is a village and parish on the sea coast (the Houngate rocks extend off this portion of the coast), 6 miles south west from Chichester, in the south western division of the county, hundred of Manhood, rape, petty sessional division and county court district of Chichester, union Westhampnett and in the rural deanery of Selsey and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church (name unknown) is of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles and has a belfry containing one bell; there are 103 sittings. The register dates from 1562. The living is a rectory, united in 1526 to the rectory of Almodington, which is now a tything of this parish, net yearly value 305, with residence and 8 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, who has two turns in three, and Miss Clement one turn, and held sine 1902 by Rev. George Heath B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. Here is a Congregational chapel erected in 1839, with 100 sittings. The trustees of the late Rev. Mr Willett are lords of the manor, and A. E. Whittle esq. is the principal landowners. The soils is good loam; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,140 acres of arable, pasture and marshland; rateable value 1,417; the population in 1911 was 107.

Parish Clerk, Calvin Burnett

Letters received through Chichester at 8.30am. The nearest money order & telegraph office is Birdham

Letter Boxes - Near church & Almodington

The children of this parish attend the Manhood School at Birdham

Heath Rev. George B.A. (rector), Rectory
Hodgen Percy, Mill House
Sparkes Mrs, Manor House

Commercial
Hobgen Allen, farmer, The Hermitage
Stevens Richard (exors of), millers, (wind & Steam)
Tribe John Bernard, farmer, The Grange


10 Jan 2008

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home