Donnington is a village and parish, 2 miles south from Chichester, in the Western division of the county, Box & Stockbridge hundred, Chichester county court district and rape, Westhampnett union, rural deanery of Selsey, third division, and archdeaconry & diocese of Chichester. The Arundel and Portsmouth Canal passes through the village. The church, of the Holy Trinity, is an ancient structure, erected about 1220, in the Early English style, with a tower containing 3 bells; there are some stained windows; a new organ was erected in 1908; the oak reredos was erected in memory of Francis & Mary Ann Rudwick; it was restored in 1847 and affords 120 sittings.. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £200, with residence and 15 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1897 by the Rev. Frederick William Greenhow M.A. and L.Th. Of Durham University. Mrs A. C. Harris is lady of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is loam; subsoil clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats & turnips. The area is 1,108 acres; rateable value £2,035; and the population, in 1911 was 222 in the civil and 216 in the ecclesiastical parish.
By an Order of the West Sussex County Council dated November 29th, 1895, and confirmed by Local Government Board Order, February 6th, 1896, that portion of St Pancras parish outside the municipal area of Chichester was added to Donnington.
Parish Clerk, George Wilkins
Letters through Chichester, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1860, for 70 children; Miss Gertrude S. Bridle, mistress
Greenhow Rev. Frederick William M.A., L.Th. Vicarage
Harris Mrs A. H.
Stewart A. C. Meadow Cottage
Stevens Richard, High Bank
Harris Alfred Hellyer, farmer, South End farm & Jewry Farm
Harris Arthur C., farmer, Donnington Manor
Hennell Frank Gordon, nurseryman
Shawyer Levi, beer retailer
10 Jan 2008
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner