Westdean (near Chichester) with Binderton chapelry is a village and large parish, at the base of the Downs, on the road from Midhurst to Chichester, about ½ a mile from Singleton station, on the Midhurst to Chichester branch of the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway, about 5 mile north from Chichester and 6 ½ mile south-west from Midhurst, in the south-western division of the county, Westbourne hundred & union, Chichester petty sessional division, rape & county court district, rural deanery of Boxgrove (second division) and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The river Lavant, a small stream, intersects the parish passing close to the village, through West Dean Park. The church of St Andrew is a cruciform building of flint, in the Early English style and has a tower of flint containg 3 bells, recast in 1904; in the church a several monuments to the Lewkenor and Selsey families, those in the chancel having recumbent and kneeling effigies; the interior was restored in 1880 at the expense of F. Bower esq. J.P. and in 1898 an organ chamber and vestry were erected, and a new organ presented by William D. James esq J.P.; in the north aisle is a memorial window to the Rev. Charles Henry Hutchinson, vicar here 1849-96; the east window is a memorial to Frank Linsly James esq. Who was killed by an elephant at San Benito, on the West Coast of Africa, April 21st 1890, there are 220 sittings. The register dates from the year 1554. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £273, with residence in the gift of the Dean & Chapter of Chichester, and held since 1910 by the Rev. Algenon Charles Lucey M.A. of Magdalen College, Oxford. A cemetery of 1 rood was formed in 1858, and in 1898 was enlarged to 2 roods, from land presented by William D. James esq. J.P. for Westdean and Binderton, and is under the control of a Burial Board, of 5 members. The old manor house was erected in the reign of James I. by John Lewkenor esq. and was the family seat of his descendants; the present mansion, built in 1804 by James, Lord Selsey, is of cut flints and has a frontage of 300 feet; it stands in an extensive and well wooded park, and is the seat of William D. James esq. C.V.O., D.L., J.P. At the top of the park, ½ mile from West Dean House, is an extensive natural basin in the chalk formation, which has been converted into an arboretum and filled with specimen conifers and flowering trees and shrubs, including many acres of rhododendrons; it is open to the public in the flowering season, and at other times permission is given upon application. W. D. James esq. who is lord of the manor, and John William Woods esq. J.P. of Chilgrove, are the chief landowners. The soil is light; subsoil chalk, with flint and marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. Area 4,621 acres of arable, pasture and woodland; rateable value £3,270; the population in 1901 was 614 in the civil, and 622 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Parish Clerk, Henry Wilton
Sexton, George Pearce
Chilgrove is a tithing belonging to this parish, 2 ½ miles north-west. Sir Robert F. Turing bart. is lord of the manor and a landowner, and resides at the Manor House
The children of this place and also Binderton attend the school atr Westdean
Binderton a tithing of Westdean, is a distinct parochial chapelry, separately assessed in all parochial rates and taxes and in the union of Westhampnett; it now belongs to W. D. James esq. Binderton House is now the residence of Henry Charles Deedes esq. J.P. The area is 1,337 acres; rateable value, £915, the population in 1901 was 117.
Post, M. O. & T. Office, Westdean – Archibald J Broadbridge, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Chichester at 7.20am & 2.50pm; dispatched at 11am & 7pm; Sundays arrive 7.20pm; dispatched at 12.15pm
Post Office, Chilgrove – Mrs Mary Hedgecock, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive via Chichester at 7.30am & 3.25pm dispatched at 9.40am & 6.15pm; Sundays arrive 7.30am & dispatched 10.20am Westdean is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 2 miles distant
Wall Letter Box, Railway station, cleared weekdays at 10.55am & 6.50pm; Sundays 10.40am
Public Elementary School (mixed & infants), built in 1898 by William D. James esq J.P. for 200 children; average attendance, 130; Edward Moore, master; Miss Caroline Feltham, assistant; Mrs Jane Moore, infants mistress
Railway Station, Singleton, William Charles West, station master
Carriers – Thomas Reeves (from Singleton), to Chichester daily; Thomas Lambert, of Cocking, passes through Chichester on tues., thurs., & sat.; & William Holden, Midhurst, passes through to Chichester mon., wed., & sat.
Heffer Frank Courtenay, West Dean Cottage
James William D., C.V.O., D.L., J.P. West Dean Park; & 38 Bryanston Square W & Turf Club W, London & Royal Yacht Squadron Club
Lucey Rev. Algernon Charles M.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Montgomery Miss, Park Cottage
Broadbridge Archibald John, grocer, post office
Cemetery (Rev. A. C. Lucey, chairman of the burial board)
Daniels Edward Thomas, blacksmith & beer retailer
Knight William, farmer, Lit. Home Farm
Macey William, Selsey Arms P.H.
Mackenzie William A., land agent to W.D.James esq. Estate Office
Myles Alexander Armstrong, forester
Napper Cecil Francis, farmer, Home Farm & Colworth Farm
Simpson John Hardie, clerk of works, West Dean Estate
Smith Arthur J. clerk & assistant overseer, West Dean Estate Office
Smith William Henry, gardener to W.D.James esq.
Somerville Willam Frew, farmer, Lodge
Stay Horace, farmer, West Dean farm
Turberville Josiah Matthew, gamekeeper to W.D.James esq. C.V.O., D.L., J.P
West Dean Cricket Club (E. Sanders, hon. Sec. & treasurer)
West Dean Estate Office (William A. Mackenzie, land agent)
West Dean Friendly Society ( A.J.Smith, sec.)
West Dean Village Club (William Vale, hon. sec)
Deedes Henry Charles J.P. Binderton House
Hother Frederick, gardener to Henry Charles Deedes esq. J.P.
Sawtell Francis Henry, farmer, Cross Hall
Smith Sidney C., farmer, Preston Farm
Turing Sir Robert Fraser bart. Manor House
Woods John William J.P.
Carter James, blacksmith
Chase John, farmer, Brickkiln Farm
Court William Edward, farmer, Brooms Farm
Daniels Albert, gardener to Sir R. F. Turing bart.
Gale Alfred, farmer
Greves S.W. farm bailiff to W.D.James esq. J.P. Staple Ash
Smalley Herbert H., White Horse P.H.
31 Aug 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner