Kelly's Directory 1911, Pagham, West Sussex


Pagham is a parish on the sea coast, 6 miles south of Chichester, 4 miles south-west from Bognor, terminal station of a branch from Barnham Junction of the London, Brighton and South Coast railway, in the south western division of the county, hundred of Aldwick rape, petty sessional division and county court district of Chichester, union of Westhampnett, and in the rural deanery of Pagham and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. Pagham harbour which has been recovered from the sea at 3 different periods, the first about a century ago, and the last in 1875, by a company formed under an Act of Parliament for that object, is again underwater owing to an influx of the sea during the high gales of the beginning of December 1910. The village of Nyetimber is situated in the south-west part of the parish, near the church and consists of a few cottages; during living memory the sea has washed away more than 100 acres, but has now almost ceased to encroach, and between 50 and 100 acres of shingle and sand have accumulated between Selsey and Pagham. In the south-eastern part of the parish, close to Bognor, is the village of Aldwick, the most important part of the parish, which extends from the coastguard station to the boundary of Bersted parish. The church of St Thomas A Beckett is of stone in the Early English style and has a tower with spire containing 5 bells; the east window is stained; the church was restored in 1837, and affords 660 sittings, 420 being free. The register dates from the year 1736. The living is a vicarage, net income 200, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held since 1909 by Rev. Grosvenor Goode Knox M.A. of New College Oxford. William Holland Ballet Fletcher esq. of Bognor, who is lord of the manor, and Joseph Godman esq. of Park Hatch, Godalming, are the principal landowners. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 3,473 acres of land, 33 of water, and 126 of foreshore; assessable value 5,720; the population in 1901 was 717 in the civil and 730 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Aldwick a tithing, 3 miles north-east, was formerly a place of some importance and gives its name to the hundred. Here is a chapel of ease, erected by the late A. Archibald Seth Smith esq. of Aldwick Lodge, with sittings for 120 persons. The Barn Rocks are off the coast at this point.

South Mundham, 3 miles north, and Nyetimber, 1 mile north-east, are also tithings. The former is now attached to North Mundham for ecclesiastical and civil purposes.

Lagness 2 miles north and Rose Green 1 north-east, are hamlets belonging to this parish

By Local Government Board Order No. 36,551, dated October 1, 1897, part of Pagham civil parish was transferred to North Mundham

Sexton Harry Sims

Post & M. O. Office, Aldwick William Tooze, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Bognor 7am & 2pm; cleared at 8.15 & 9.25am & 3.50 & 7.10pm; Sunday arrive 7am; disoatched 10.35am. Bognor 1 mile distant is the nearest telegraph office.

Post & T Office, Nyetimber Edwin George Prior, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Bognor at 8am & 2.30pm; disoatched at 9.30am & 7pm. The nearest money order office is at Aldwick

Wall Letter Boxes Pagham Church, cleared 9.15am & 6.45pm; Sunday 9.45am Lagness cleared at 6.10pm; Sunday 10.30am. Rose Green cleared at 7.45am & 6.30pm; Sundays 10.10am, Aldwick Lane cleared at 10.50am & 3.50pm & 7.35pm Sundays 10.40am

Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1825 and enlarged 1885, for 128 children; average attendance, 72; Frank R. Archard, master

Carrier to Chichester Frederick Apps, mon, wed, fri, & sat

(Marked thus * receive letters through Chichester)

Davis Arthur John Lit. Welbourne
De Vesian T. Ellis, Oakholm bungalow
Edgell Dover A. White Rock & Wayside cottage
*Harrison Frank Waterer, Lagness
Knox Rev. Grosvenor Goode M. A. (vicar) Vicarage
Robinson Capt. Edward R. Seymour Cottage

Commercial

Adames Charles, farmer, Lagness
*Bailey William, wheelwright, Lagness
*Greenway Sidney, cowkeeper, White House Lagness
*Harrison Frank Waterer, farmer, Lagness Farm
*Neale Francis, farmer
*Prior Edwin Geo., blacksmith, Lagness
*Rogers Frederick, farm bailiff to F. J. Neale esq
Rushbridge Arth. Frmr. Morrells Farm
*Stapeley Jas. Royal Oak P.H. Lagness
Stay George, farmer, Church Farm
Winter William Richardson, farmer

Aldwick Private Residents

Blakely Henry E. Wenonah
Clout Mrs. The Elms
Colam R. S. The Glade
Downes Sir Arthur Henry M.D. Summerlands
Fisher Mrs. West House
Harrison Edward S. Aldwick Farm
Holloway H. Craigwell House
Kingsfrod Miss. Bemerton
Jackson John, Pinehurst
Johnson Mrs. Croxton, Paradise
Jones H.
Kelly George John, St Winifred
Moore Christopher T. Glengarry
Newberry Mrs. The Hut
Powis Charles William, Yn Y Coed
Simpson Miss. Scarborough House
Smith Mrs. The Holdynge
Spon William, Landon House
Stocker Mrs. Craigwell Lodge
Synes Herbt. Wm. J.P. Colebrook House
Trenchard Arthur, Richmond House
Wedgwood Mrs. The Wigwam
Whiffen Thomas, Barn Rocks

Commercial

Christmas Henry, jobbing gardener, Thatch Cottage
Frederick Richard Rising M.A boys school
Harrison Edward S. farmer
Harrison John, farmer
Miller Edward, Ship P.H

NYETIMBER

Cowley Charles, Nyetimber House
Chandler George P. farm bailiff to John Harrison esq.
Harrison John, miller (wind)
Merrett Henry, Bear P.H.
Prior Edwin George, blacksmith
Sait John, beer retailer
Smart Richard, Rookery Farm
Stoner Frederick, apartments
Williams William, cowkeeper


22 Jul 2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home